Huitt Lee Scott, Jr.  Memories of my big brother

Huitt Lee Scott, Jr. was born at 8:18 p.m. on April 9, 1940 in Washington, D.C.

On this day, Nazi Germany invaded Denmark and Norway.  The next year, the United States entered the war when Pearl Harbor was attacked.  World War II rationing affected the food Americans ate, the clothes they wore, the toys with which children played.  Radio was the major broadcast medium during most of my brother's childhood. "The Lone Ranger", Roy Rogers and Gene Autry were his heroes. The Marx Brothers ruled comedy, and from them my brother's own style of double entendre evolved. Daniel Boone was the most popular book of the decade, and my brother had his own 'genuine' Daniel Boone beaver-tail cap.

Huitt in 1946Women of the day were defined in idealistic Vargas images, and by Jane Mansfield and Mae West on screen. Yet the reality was that women were needed in the workplace to replace men who had gone off to war, thus the first great exodus of women from the home began. Our mother taught school in a "separate but equal" system. Our father, too old for the draft, continued to work at National Training School reformatory for boys.  Our father's career gave him an insidious negative perception of humanity. He trusted no one, loved no one, deferred to no one.

Such were the events that shaped my brother Huitt, such were the family dynamics that influenced his life.

I came along 8 years later and my most endearing childhood memories are of Huitt.  He was my adored big brother and I was his shadow. Over the years, he taught me to ride a bicycle -- albeit head-first. He taught me archery. He taught me to build things and to use my imagination.  He taught me to shoot a rifle and he took it in stride when I became a better shot. I rode on his bicycle handlebars to visit our sister and her family in Mayfair Gardens. I tagged along with him and his friend Thaddeus, and we explored DC by foot, bicycle, and bus.

In 1958 Huitt graduated from Spingarn High School and enrolled at Howard University in Washington, DC.  In 1960 he was doing well in his coursework until he and my father had a falling out. The cold war between them was life-long and resulted in Huitt dropping out of college and joining the U.S. Army.  During his tour of duty from 1961 to 1964 we wrote often, and 40 years later I still have his old Army trunk.

After his discharge, Huitt went to work for IBM in Washington, DC. This was his first foray into computers which evolved into his lifelong love of technology.  He never finished college, but he self-studied any subject that interested him. I lived with my adored brother for a brief period in 1967 until he married his first wife Edith. They headed west to California but divorced in 1970.

Through the 1970s, Huitt continued building a career in technology as well as developing a love for competitive bicycling.  In 1981 he accepted a position with Hughes Aircraft and worked on airplanes and submarines all over the world.  He last lived in Huntington Beach, CA. where he could bicycle all year round. 

Huitt and Lissa, 1985Eventually the sameness of California got to him and he missed the change of seasons.  In 1988, Huitt accepted a position with GE Aerospace and returned to the East coast where he used his VA loan to purchase a home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He was only a 4 hour drive from me, so I spent many weekends dashing down Rte 64 on a Friday evening. We spent weekends doing jigsaw puzzles, touring local arboretums and museums, seeing the latest movies and plays, and just enjoying each other's company. 

In the early 1990s, Huitt met Maria Nuzzo. Over the next several years, Maria completed her undergraduate and graduate degrees, and eventually taught at a local university. Maria was a delightful woman, a joy to have in our family.  However during that time, Huitt suffered health issues, depression, and eventually lost his job. Bicycling had destroyed both knees, and the pain eventually drove him to have knee replacement surgery. He went into business for himself, but the burdens of pain and depression overshadowed any successes he may have had.  In 1996 he left his home, his sweetheart, and his business, and headed west again.

Huitt settled in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the artist's haven of the southwest. He started a computer business and built a small client base. He last lived alone in an apartment on Armijo Street in the historic district of Santa Fe.  We corresponded by email and I visited him in 2002 and 2004. He spoke of being discouraged by the poor economy of New Mexico, the disparity between haves and have-nots, the limited business opportunities.  Nevertheless, he eked out a living, and by mid-2005 he was preparing to move to another area.  Our last e-conversation was in June 2005 when he expressed his distress over a local church's effort to paint over a mural at Nob Hill in Albuquerque.  Such were the things that mattered to him.

Huitt in 2004

In recent years, Huitt suffered bouts of pneumonia, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Depending upon the weather, he had difficulty breathing.  This combination proved deadly.  On July 8, 2005, Huitt Lee Scott, Jr. died peacefully at his home  in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He was 65 years old. 

Huitt is loved and will be missed by me and his sister Faunette.  He leaves a nephew Kevin and his wife Vanessa, their children Gabrielle, Joy, Andrea, and Kevin Jr.; his niece Donna and her husband Tony, and their children Elizabeth, Khrista, and Matthew Anthony.  Huitt is also survived by his beloved cat, "Buddy" who was adopted by a nice woman in Santa Fe, NM.

Sleep gently, sweet brother.  You are finally home.

In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate your tax-deductible donation in memory of Huitt Scott to the following nonprofit organization:  Mid-Atlantic Great Dane Rescue League.  Checks may be U.S. mailed to MAGDRL, P.O. Box 4392, Baltimore, MD 21223.

You may view comments left by Huitt's friends and family here.

Huitt's web site was created on July 9, 2005 and has had Hit Counter visitors. Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.